The much anticipated debut of the New Product Showcase at ICAST 2009 took place last night. This annual gathering is a media and buyers only event where the latest and greatest products are displayed in hopes of winning an ICAST 2009 Best of Show award. The sheer number of offerings on display was certainly enough to excite the avid angler. Tackle junkies better get those wallets ready! I for one found a number of items that will definitely be added to my personal arsenal this coming season.
Here are just a few takeaways and comments pertaining to last nights event:
– The $100 rod price point will be a major battlefield amongst numerous players in the coming months and years as the sport grows
– Lowrance debuts side imaging technology
– Camo pattern rods are apparently pushing their way into vogue
– Jointed swimbaits (particularly magic simmer esque) are gaining popularity
– Soft plastic swimbaits are still the rage
– A number of companies are catering to the kayaking angler
– A few new players “Colmic” and “Alpha Tackles” displayed a number of interesting JDM esque products.
– The Abu Garcia “Vendetta” rods are sweet in hand
– Carrot Stix aren’t just orange anymore
– The “Professional Series” rods manufactured by Temple Fork Outfitters and designed by Gary Loomis were a hot topic at the rod rack (retail $99.95)
– Denny Brauer debuts a blue Ardent Flip and pitch and an American Rodsmiths line dubbed “Wreckin’ Stix” with new V17 pro tour grip material.
– Daiwa brings the Aggrest to the US market (A Zaion framed baitcaster was not seen by this angler)
– The blue anodizing on the Coastal Daiwa Zillion looks fantastic in person.
– New Steez SVF-XBD Braid rods (7’4” casting, 7’ spinning)
– There will be 12 models in the Shimano Cumara Reaction Lineup
– New Shimano Stradic CI4 to replace now discontinued MG
– The Core 50 and 51 MG7 to be America’s “Aldebaran” (retail $369.99)
– Quantum pushes the envelope with the introduction of 150 sized baitcast reels.
– As expected a number of saltwater and Florida angler tailored product on display
– ICAST 2010 will take place in Las Vegas
– The West concourse of the Orange County Convention Center was a bit warm and lighting was terrible but many in house still had a great time including myself
Below is just a sampling of products:
more to follow…